Monday, May 4, 2009

Garden Update - New Toy

I had a very busy garden weekend. I started out Saturday morning by digging out a beds for the Lithonia seeds and moon flowers I got at the blogging get-together (thanks Diane from Sharing Nature's Garden). It seems like such a huge area when you are digging, but once you're done it's very underwhelming.

I also dug out grass and planted a bed in the back yard. I was at The Natural Gardener friday afternoon (snuck out of work for a few minutes) looking for another tomato cage. I got the tomato cage, but also grabbed two shrimp plants and a tangerine abuliton. The shrimp plants are called "fruit cocktail" and are a yellowish-green and red. They were too cool to resist.

"Fruit Cocktail" Shrimp Plant

Tangerine Abutilon

Between garden chores, I decided to map the sun. I know my back yard is shaded, but didn't really know how much. Turns out at about 1:30 in the afternoon there is no shade to be found, the entire yard is in complete sun. I had no idea. I plan on doing this again around the summer solstice.

My weekend finished off with a trip to Costco, where I found a new garden cart. I've been wanting one for a while and this one was just perfect. It carries 1200 lbs, converts to a flat bed cart and has a dumping feature. It also comes with a thick plastic insert, so you can carry loose dirt. My husband had to work last night, so I put it together myself :)

I spent way too much time this weekend admiring my handiwork. The vegetable garden is really taking off, and it makes me so proud, I just can't help but stare.

Okra and Swiss Chard

Scale of Squash Leaves

Yellow Squash and Zucchini

Sun Gold Tomatoes

Roma Tomatoes

First Green Beans

Green Bean Blossom. I just love the delicate pink flower.

Swallowtail Caterpillar. We affectionately refer to them as "bird poo" caterpillars. I caught this one mid chomp.

First okra. I took this picture for scale of the okra versus a giant zucchini that I picked a day too late.

3 comments:

Iris said...

I'm now spending too much time admiring your handiwork, too! I just discovered another (admittedly too small) tomato plant with all its leaves totally stripped. I may have had beginner's tomato luck last summer.

I really like that you put your hand and the battery in those photos for scale--very helpful.

Jane Ellis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

The green bean blossoms are amazing!!! I didn't know they were so pretty. Way to go on the garden!