Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bean Sprouts / Okra Blossom


Once of the second type of tulips ( which I didn't write down ) is up. This is the one I've been waiting for, with the yellows and red. It's just beautiful. It is much smaller than the other variety though.


Here is a picture of the soon-to-be melon garden. It is twice the size that it was last year. Two nights ago I removed the old winter veggies that had already flowered and gone to seed. All I have left is carrots and a few herbs. The 3x3 herb garden is pretty full, so I'll have to relocate these to one of the other beds. We'll plan on eating the last of the carrots this week. I have 2 cantaloupe, 2 watermelon and 2 cucumber seedlings that I picked up last weekend, awaiting their new home. The natural gardener only had 1 variety of each, which is why I got so few. I plan on going again this week to see if their selection has improved.


Herb garden with society garlic taking center stage.

Dewberry. I found it interesting how bushy this plant is compared to the blackberry, which is one long stick. 

I love the instant gratification of beans. As soon as they pop up from the ground they are instant plants, no tiny delicate leaves. In a day or two they'll be double the size of my peppers. I planted both green beans and butter beans. Mmmm! 
I also have two tomato plants in this bed from a swap I made with my neighbor. I gave her 1 roma and 1 sun gold. I have no idea what she gave me, I'll have to ask her again. I'm noticing a trend here of me having no idea what's planted  in my garden :)


The okra took quite a beating from the cold. I covered everything with row cover, but the leaves still haven't quite recovered. It appears the flowers don't care though. They plan on blooming anyway. 



Thai Basil. Added this because I thought it was pretty.



No comments: