Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bloom Day July Edition - What's Dead in the Garden

With this heat wave and drought it's not easy to show what's blooming. Walking around this morning it was much easier to find what is dead or dying.

Columbine -
bought at the Wildflower Center sale this year, has never bloomed

Fig Tree -
Not dead, but looking sad. Come on! This is a fig tree.


Looks like the squash-vine borer has hit again. I just don't have the energy to dig them out anymore.

Here's the culprit, the adult SVB. I found him hanging out on the okra.

Hot and Spicy Oregano -
Barely hanging on.

Mums -
I've had the plant for two years, but I don't think it will survive the summer.

One sad lamb's ear

White Penta - or should I say brown

Daylily -
Not only is it unhappy with the weather, but it appears someone
attempted to dig it out last night.

Tithonia -
These are supposed to need very little water, but they have just been so thirsty in this heat. I refuse to water them more than once a week and I really don't think that will be enough.

Nasturtium -
Faint signs of life.

One bright spot -
The coneflowers are doing great. You can also see cosmos in the background.
I'll be planting more of both of these next year.



1 comment:

Caroline said...

Oh, dear! I could post similar photos of coneflowers, Molly Ivins salvia (poor, poor Molly), yellow columbine and passion vine. Hang in there - the weathermen say El Nino will save us this fall!