Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Seeds


Friday the 8th during my lunch break I drove to The Natural Gardener and picked up some seed packets. Since the peppers and herbs are well underway, it's time for tomatoes. I picked up "yellow pear" cherry, "supersweet 100" cherry, "cherokee purple", "green zebra", and "celebrity". I also bought toma verde tomatillos and some amaranth.

Planting Dates

Romas - Jan 7th
Cherokee, Zebra - Jan 10th
Cherries, Celebrity - Jan 16th


Last fall I spoke to The Natural Gardener about making my own seed mix. They recommended a mix of Worm Castings, Perlite, and Vermiculite. As for amounts, you want it too retain moisture, but not be too soggy. The amounts I have used for my seed mix are 4 parts perlite, 3 parts worm castings and 2 parts vermiculite. So far it's working great.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I *love* those worm castings. I swear they seed the soil with worms. The space I work had virtually none a year ago (only grubs), now they're everywhere.