Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pruning the Roses


As most Austin gardeners know, Valentine's Day is the time for pruning the rose bushes. Last sunday I cut back the Knockouts pretty significantly. I found these instructions in a flower gardening book, and I've used them for a few years now.


1. Cut back the smaller of any twisted canes
2. Cut out any canes smaller than a pencil
3. Cut back any dead canes
4. Thin out the bushes to give plenty of breathing room for new growth
5. Cut back the all canes by 1/3


I added number 4 myself after discovering how quickly the rose bushes recover. I was scared my first year that I had over-pruned, but they came back to over 6 feet tall by the end of the season.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Ah, a good reminder for me. I only have a few rose bushes -- 2 Maggies, 1 Katy Road, and 1 Martha Gonzales and a Knock-out. But it is time to prune them all and I'd better get on it before other garden chores take over. (But maybe not this week in the SNOW! Can you believe it?!!!)

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.