Tuesday, October 6, 2009

One of those Days


Today I got home from work early enough to spend a few minutes in the garden. I wandered around only to find two new pests. It's one of those days where you wonder why you even bother. Why don't I just leave it to the professionals?

Here is where the cutworm laughed at my attempts to block him. I caught him in the act, stretching as far as possible to bite just above the straws I put in yesterday. I found a second one, but destroyed them both before taking pictures.

Here are the next culprits. I don't know what they are, but would appreciate any help. I couldn't find them in the Texas Bug Book. These little critters eat through the stems on the tomato plants. You can see the droopy end, completely cut off from nutrients. I may have to resort to some organic pesticides on these guys.

Why do I bother? Well ... I just finished eating some sauteed okra. Simple olive oil, salt, pepper and whole okra. I also mixed in some zucchini and mushrooms. Mmmm! I agree with a friend of mine that plain old sauteed okra is just as good as fried, as long as you can handle a little slime.


No comments: